ad1

Friday, February 18, 2011

And so it Goes

Posted at local time

I think I'll preface this entry with the following: I don't think I've ever been this busy for such an extended period in my life; comparable only to a night before a final or the night before a paper was due at UCD.  It's almost like half of the reason I'm looking forward to coming home is that I'll have some time to RELAX.  However, I've been keeping up with juggling a working life and a highly active social life quite successfully.  I can handle it :)

So, where are we... Mid Feb already?  That means it's time to come home.  My flight home leaves OR Tambo International Airport at 8:20 pm on Thursday the 24th-- and for the next 17 hours, I'll be wining (tres chic!)  and dining (involuntary shiver) at 37,000 feet.  Maybe I can hibernate for most of that period.  It would drastically shorten that crazy long flight if I were unconscious!  To add insult to injury, I have another five hours after I take off from Atlanta.  I'll be home on Friday morning at around 10:30. And so it goes!

Some highlights over the past few months:

  • The Game Reserve trip... What an unbelievable experience. 5 Star accommodation in the form of my own personal suite, 700+ photos of close viewings of Leopard (male and female, with cubs), Cheetah, Elephant, Giraffe, Lion, Lioness (and cubs), Kudu, Antelope, Hippopotamus, Warthog, and more.  Easily the most incredible thing I've done in my life thus far.
  • The South African Police Force (SAPS) and Johannesburg Metropolitan Police Department (JMPD).  I won't go into too much detail, but I do have to say that my experiences with them were very interesting.  Ask me in person!
  • The enchanting union of Gareth and Angela Myers.  What a beautiful occasion-- It was such an untold honor to be present at their fairly exclusive wedding.  That said, the absolute and infinite hospitality of all the Myerses here has been greatly appreciated.  I feel as though I'm part of the family when I'm around them.
  • The trip to Botswana. I had a good time for this short-lived jaunt into another African country.  Lazing by the pool, enjoying a bit of sun and a refreshing dip, then sinking into hotel linens.  Air Botswana even had Biltong on the flight!
  • University of the Witwatersrand Street Party.  All I have to say about this one is "yassus."  Reminded me a lot of when I went to Santa Barbara for Halloween.  So much fun!  The night before, I went to a rugby game at Wits.  It was like being at an English soccer match...  There's video for this one! Among many other things, of course.
A sincere and heartfelt thank you goes out to my aunt Penny for many reasons, including but not limited to providing me with a place to stay, putting up with my late nights, and feeding me.

To everyone I've met, especially those who came through for me in many different ways, including Penny, Ricci, Natalie, Bianca, Rory, Johnny, Lauren, Carli, Adam, Kim, Gareth and Angie, Dani, Gary, Abby, Ed, Jarrad, Jess, Chelsea, Ash, and so many, many more.  You guys have all been so amazing and I'm so happy to have been accepted into your groups.  I know we'll be in touch, and if you guys come to LA, don't hesitate to contact me.  I'm only too pleased to help you guys out in the City of Angels!

They say that all good things come to an end, and maybe they do.  I think of leaving South Africa not so much as an end, but more of a "to be continued."  I will be back here in no uncertain terms.  This country has given me so much, and I return to the USA a better person after my experiences here.

Fear not, this won't be my last entry.  Even though I'm giving up my rental car, I've still got 6 days to fill with much of the same social activity that has populated the last 4 months.  Speaking of the rental car, number 5 was a success.  I would gladly advocate a Toyota Tazz to any one of my friends; even though it's not available in the States.  I'm a bit sad to see it go, but am REALLY looking forward to driving my S80 when I get home.  Might have to reset the clock though!

Incidentally, I'm really looking forward to being able to use my iPhone as a phone again.  Seeing 3G in the header will be such a relief.  Using it as, essentially, an iPod was convenient, but I'm looking forward to the convenience of having access to anything anywhere, regardless of WiFi.  Carrying two phones has been pretty cumbersome!

Life is filled with experiences, positive and negative, that define and shape our paths.  The path I've traveled for the last four months has seen me through a monopoly of good times, and I know that this can continue anywhere I go.

Life is a series of paths.  And so it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment